In this chaotic world of ours it is so difficult sometimes to pull our thoughts together and organize them in such a way that others could easily understand what we mean. Transition words are means by which we glue our thoughts and ideas and let them flow in the right order. It is especially important in academic writing, because it requires good structure, clear organization and logic, without distracting and jumping from one point of view to another. Concise writing is something that can be achieved through lots of experience, practice and efforts consuming work. However, the good news is that we are here to help you with this deal. Even though you might have no idea why you actually need transitions and how to use them, we will explain it to you step by step and guide you through the process of effective paper writing. In this article, you will find good transition words for essays, as well as tips and guidelines how, when and where to use them in order to achieve the best desired result. At that time, keep in mind that our professional writing service is always at your disposal. All you need to do is to contact us and let us know what your task is, and we will find a perfect writer for you who will take care of your assignment and accomplish it as it should be. In any case, let us find out more about transitions and how to make them serve your purpose when writing academic papers.
The role of transitions in your essay
In any kind of writing, but first and foremost in professional and academic, your aim is to provide information coherently and impressively. In some cases your final goal is actually to convert the audience to your point of view. So transition words serve to help you reach these aims by means of building logical links connecting your sentences, ideas, thoughts and paragraphs one to another. Generally speaking, transition words point out to the readers what they should pay special attention to and help them follow your thoughts.
Transitions exist in the form of separate words, as well as in the form of phrases and even entire sentences. In any case, their role is to guide your readers through your writing and tell them how they should perceive that or another information. They also serve as means of decoration, because they make your paper more interesting, engaging and alive, which is important if you want your reader to fully immerse himself into your writing.
You can be sure that you need to improve your capability of using transition in the following cases:
- You often notice that your professor leaves such comments on your papers as “where is logic?”, “no structure”, “where is the relation?” and so on.
- You heard from your readers that they had hard time following your thoughts and ideas.
- You usually have a mess of thoughts in your head and you put them on the paper in exactly same manner.
- You don't know how to lead your reader from one idea to another without making him confused.
- You find your paper looking more like separate pieces of writing tied together with no common purpose.
If any of the above mentioned sound like you, it means you have a trouble using transition words. Luckily enough, we are here to help you overcome this difficulty.
Use transitions to organize your writing
As a matter of fact, good transition words for essays are the best way to organize your writing appropriately. So in order to achieve fine organization you need to consider the following:
- Figure out in which order you want your ideas to follow each other.
- Find out the relationship between your ideas.
- Prioritize your ideas according to their importance.
Different transition words and phrases serve different purposes, which is why it is important to understand where and which ones of them to use appropriately. Such as also, additionally, moreover, apart from that serve for the purpose of addition. Other transitions like therefore, considering the above mentioned, for this reason, in accordance with etc. are used to show the consequence in your text. There are also transitions to provide comparison and contrast, which are on the other hand, quite the opposite, however and son on. The list of transitions is a large one, as well as the number of occasions to use them. This is why you will probably not be able to memorize all of them. But once you know the purpose why you want to use them, you can just search for the list of proper transitions on the Internet.
There are also transitions to use when making an emphasis, such as absolutely, as a matter of fact, without a doubt, obviously, anyway etc. If you want to make a summary, you may use such expressions as thus, having said that, in the end of the day, in conclusion and so on.
Understanding the types of transition words
As you see, in order to be able to use transition words effectively in your writing, you need to know why, when and where to use them. This is extremely important because otherwise you may use the wrong transition expression and confuse your reader. Apart from that, we want you to know different types of them. Depending on the situation, you may need to develop logical links between parts of the same sentence, within the paragraph, between different paragraphs or even sections of our essay. Even though the ultimate goal of transitions remains the same, which is to provide a coherent structure to your paper, they still differ depending on the circumstances. Take a look at the following types of transitions:
- To use between different sections of your writing. In most of cases they are used in big scientific works, such as dissertations, researches and other. They help provide special paragraphs to make a summary of the previous section and at the same time, lead the reader to the following one. In other words, they are good if you need to point out how the information provided in one section is related to the information in the next one.
- To use between paragraphs. This type of transition words and expression is common in all kinds of writing, including short essays and more profound scientific works. This type of transitions serve to help you underline the specific point, so that your paragraphs could easily flow one into another. In other words, they show to your reader how the previous paragraph is connected to the following.
- To use inside of the paragraph. This type of transitions helps making the information flow in a coherent manner. It serves to make it easier for the reader to catch your point and follow your thoughts. In this case, transitions take a form of separate words or short expressions.
Tips to use transitions
On the one hand, knowing good transition words for essays can be really helpful. On the other hand, unless you are fully aware of how to use them appropriately, they can ruin your whole writing. So as in any other case, you need to do it attentively and in accordance with specificities of using that or another transitions. We have prepared some tips for you to have a better understanding of this matter.
- First and foremost, don't overuse transition words. If there are too many of them, it will lead your reader to confusion and he will simply lose your whole point. Make sure not to use more them three or four transition expressions within a paragraph and no more than one within a sentence.
- Do not repeat the same transition within the text. Even if you have to use transitions with the same purpose, look for synonyms or similar words instead of using the same expression over and over again.
- Stay creative. Transitions can make your paper more engaging, but they also can make it boring. It all depends on whether you are capable of finding the ones that match the rhythm of your paper and keep your reader attentive.
- Be specific. Some transitions, if not used properly, may distract your reader from the essence of your essay. In order to avoid this, you need to pick them very carefully and keep your audience in mind. Don't use entire transition sentences when it is enough to use only a word or a phrase.
Make your essay stand out
The shortest way to achieve success in your studies and get high grades is making your essays stand out from papers of other students. This is possible with the help of numerous techniques, and among all of them is, of course, the usage of good transition words for essays. However, this is not enough. You also need to have strong writing skills and much of experience. Fortunately, we have an offer for you that will ease your writing struggle. Our company provides students far and wide across the world with all kinds of writing services at different levels of education, with various subjects and in cases, when the assignment seems to be almost impossible to accomplish. We are here to help you deal with this challenging task without spending much efforts and time. Just contact us any time and make your order. After that, you can be sure that your essay is going to be written by professional in a highly efficient manner.